Last updated: 27/01/2021
Apps for Good strives to protect the welfare and safety of all the people that it works with and attempts to create an environment where Educators, Students and volunteer Experts feel safe, secure, respected and valued. Apps for Good is committed to protecting your personal data when you use our service or get involved with our work. Our processing of personal data will be in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”), as amended from time to time.
Apps for Good is a company incorporated and registered in England and Wales at The Southwest Corner, Puddledock Lane, Westerham, TN16 1PY, United Kingdom. Company Registration Number 6560779 UK and Registered Charity Number 1133656. In relation to the personal data we collect about you, Apps for Good is the data controller for purposes of the GDPR. Terms defined in the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 also have the same meaning when used in this policy.
Summary of this policy
Our policy is intended to be clear and easy to understand. In it, we explain the following
- Scope of policy
- Information gathering and usage
- Processing your personal data, and obtaining your consent
- Where we store your personal data
- Disclosure of your personal data
- Period for which we store your personal data
- Your rights
- Opting Out
- Links to third party websites
- Children’s privacy protection
What Information We Collect and How We Use It
Our primary goal in collecting personal data is to provide you with the best and most useful content and service to help you participate in what Apps for Good has to offer and help us achieve our mission.
We collect certain kinds of information about our users for the following reasons:
- To provide personalised services unique to individual users.
- To help us monitor and improve the services we offer.
- With your consent, to market new content or services to individual users.
Visitors should be aware that each time they visit a website two general levels of information about their visit can be retained.
The first level comprises statistical and other analytical data collected on an aggregate and non-individual specific basis of all browsers who visit the site and the second is information that is personal or particular to a specific visitor who knowingly chooses to provide that information. Apps for Good works with third party business partners and analytics providers in collecting analytical information about your activities when you visit our website.
The information below shows the type of personal data we might collect from you and the purposes for which we may use it.
Information we collect through registration data
Information you may provide for us:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- School information
- Birth year (for students)
Why we collect this information
- To enable you to enroll in the Apps for Good programme.
- To manage and operate your account with us.
- To notify you about changes to our services and to send you service emails relating to your account, including in relation to information or queries about your registration or accounts, to request permissions or advise you of changes.
- To facilitate entry and organisation of competitions, awards or regional events.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts/arrangements entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us.
- To understand and report on the overall impact of Apps for Good.
- If you consent, we may also use these details for direct marketing purposes, for example to provide you with information about other goods and services that we offer.
Information we collect through correspondence
- Personal details you provide when you contact us
Why we collect this information
- To keep records of any correspondence between us in the event that you contact us, including in relation to the Website or this policy.
- To fulfil the purposes for which you provided the information to us, including – if you have requested this – to provide you with details of new products, services, awards or promotions being provided or run by Apps for Good.
- For verification purposes in connection with your account.
Information we collect automatically
Online identifiers and tracking information:
- website preferences stored in cookies, IP address;
- internet service provider;
- login information;
- the content you view;
- the date and time of your visit;
- browser plug-in types and versions;
- and operating system and platform
Why we collect this information
- To administer the Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
- To ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- As part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure.
We do not perform any automated-decision activities, including profiling activities, where your personal data is processed by automated means.
Processing your personal data, and obtaining your consent
We will obtain your consent to process your personal data where we are required to do so by applicable law – for example, where we want to use your contact details for marketing purposes or where the personal data we are collecting from you is “sensitive” and we are not lawfully permitted to process your personal data on any other legal grounds. Where we rely on your consent for processing your personal data, you may withdraw your consent to this processing at any time, by contacting us on email@example.com or by using the contact details below. Please note, however, that withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on the consent you grave prior to withdrawal.
Where we process your personal data for direct marketing purposes, we will log any objection you make, stop processing your data for direct marketing purposes, and we will not contact you again.
We process your personal data without having obtained your consent for our legitimate interests in running Apps for Good to achieve our charitable aims and on the basis of other lawful grounds, including to provide you with the information and services you request and to fulfil any agreement between us. This is largely so that we can efficiently provide you with information and services or otherwise fulfil the terms of our relationship without having to seek individual consent for everything we do (or where in some cases it might not be possible for us to seek your consent). We will, however, always provide you with information on our data processing activities on request and from time to time. Before processing your personal data, we will consider your rights and freedoms and will only commence such processing where we do not think your rights will be infringed.
Where we store your personal data
All personal data you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of our content, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. If you suspect your password has been discovered by anybody else please let us know and will take appropriate action including allowing you to re-set the password.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and is not entirely within our control. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your transmitted data. Any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use appropriately strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose your personal data to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the Companies Act 2006, or to our partners or service providers, in each case to the extent necessary for the purpose of providing information or services to you or otherwise fulfilling the terms of our relationship. This may include the provision of your personal data to IT service providers, analytics providers, and legal advisors.
We may pass your data onto government agencies, law enforcement agencies, courts and regulatory bodies when we are legally obliged to do so, or when we consider it advisable to do so to protect our rights, property or safety, our customers, or others, particularly when it comes to protecting and ensuring the safety of young people.
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties:
- If Apps for Good or substantially all of its business or assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers may be one of the transferred assets.
- In order to enforce or apply any agreements between us or to investigate potential breaches.
Apps for Good is part of a wider system designed to keep children and young people safe. All organisations that come into contact with children are required to have specific safeguarding policies and procedures in place. In instances where there are safeguarding concerns, where a child will benefit from coordinated support from more than one agency, any necessary information will be passed on in accordance with the relevant legislation.
Request a copy of our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy for more details. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the following address: Data Controller, Apps for Good, The Southwest Corner, Puddledock Lane, Westerham, TN16 1PY.
Period for which we store your personal data
We will store your personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purposes of providing the services you have requested and for legal compliance purposes. For further information on how long we will store your personal data in any particular case, please do not hesitate to contact us using the details below.
Access: You have the right to ask for a copy of the personal data that we hold about you. If you would like to find out more about the personal data we have stored, seek advice, or request a copy of some or all of your personal data to review and/or request deletion, please contact our Data Controller at email@example.com or write to us at the following address: Data Controller, Apps for Good, The Southwest Corner, Puddledock Lane, Westerham, TN16 1PY.
Rectification. If the personal data we hold appears to be inaccurate we will not use it, and not allow others to use it, until it is verified. You can ask us to correct or complete your personal data by contacting us at any time. To the extent possible, we will inform anyone who has received your personal data of any corrections we make to it.
Restriction. In certain circumstances, it may be possible to require us to limit the way in which we process your personal data (i.e., require us to continue to store your personal data, but not otherwise process it without your consent). Such circumstances include:
- where you think the data we hold about you is inaccurate, processing can be restricted while it is being rectified;
- where you object to our processing, (which is being carried out on the grounds that it is necessary for our legitimate interests) processing can be restricted while we determine whether such grounds override your interests;
- where processing is unlawful but you oppose the erasure and request restriction of your data instead; and
- where we no longer need the personal data but you require the data in order to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim, our processing can be restricted.
- Erasure. You may ask to have the personal data on your account deleted or removed. We will try to do so promptly, and, to the extent possible, we will inform anyone who has received your personal data of your request. However, we must keep track of certain transaction information for legal compliance purposes, so we may not be able to fully delete your personal data in certain circumstances.
-Object. Where we are processing your personal data without your consent to pursue our legitimate interests, you may object to us processing your personal data. In particular, where we are using your personal data to contact you for marketing purposes, you may object to such processing at any time.
-Complaints. If you are located in the EEA and you believe that our processing of your personal data is in breach of data protection law, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant data protection supervisory authority in the country where you are based or any place in the EEA where you believe the infringement has occurred. You may also contact us at any time if you wish to complain about our processing of your personal data
For any of the requests listed above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or using the contact details below. We will make reasonable efforts to respond promptly and at the latest within one month. Our response to such requests may be limited to personal data under our direct control.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will ask you (before collecting your data) if we would like to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your personal data to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing on the forms we use to collect your data by not opting into such processing. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
Use of children’s data
We do not knowingly collect personal data from any child under 13 years old.
Parents and guardians can review the personal data we hold about their children and can request that we delete and/or correct that personal data. We may ask additional questions or take other steps to verify the identity of an individual or parent/guardian before responding to a request to review and/or delete personal data.
Apps for Good is committed to making sure that your personal data is secure by taking appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal data from any unauthorised and unlawful processing, accidental loss, damage, alteration or disclosure.
Technical measures may include firewalls, encryption systems and devices to detect and prevent intrusion attempts.
Organisational measures include relevant policies and procedures, collecting only the minimum data we need to provide you with our full service, and staff data protection training.
We will do our very best to avoid a breach but sometimes they occur in spite of best efforts. We promise that if there is a breach we’ll do everything we can to make sure that you are affected as little as possible. Transmission of your personal data via the internet is not 100% secure and though we do everything possible to make sure your personal data is secure, you are responsible for keeping your own password confidential.
Third Party Links
Changes to This Policy
If you would like to get in touch with us with regards to your personal data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at:
Data Controller Apps for Good The Southwest Corner, Puddledock Lane, Westerham, United Kingdom TN16 1PY